McDonald's Shamrock Shake is a fan favorite, but they're only available for a limited time during St. Patrick's Day. However, you don't have to wait until next year to satisfy your craving for this minty treat. With a few simple ingredients and a blender, you can easily make your own version of the Shamrock Shake at home. In fact, you can even make it better by adding some crushed Oreos into the mix. In this blog post, we will show you how to make the best McDonald's Shamrock Shake with Oreos that will make you feel like you're sitting in a McDonald's restaurant.
Table of Contents
History of the Shamrock Shake
The Shamrock Shake has a long and interesting history that dates back to the early 1970s. The shake was first introduced by McDonald's in 1970 as a limited-time seasonal item to celebrate St. Patrick's Day. The shake quickly became a popular menu item, with customers eagerly anticipating its return every year.
The original Shamrock Shake recipe consisted of vanilla soft serve ice cream blended with a green mint syrup. Over the years, the recipe has evolved, with variations including the addition of whipped cream, a cherry on top, and even pieces of Oreo cookies mixed in.
In addition to being a popular menu item, the Shamrock Shake has also become a cultural phenomenon. Fans of the shake eagerly anticipate its arrival every year, with many starting social media campaigns to try to persuade McDonald's to offer it year-round.
The Shamrock Shake has also become associated with charity, with McDonald's donating a portion of the proceeds from each shake sold to various organizations, including the Ronald McDonald House Charities and the American Cancer Society.
Overall, the Shamrock Shake has become a beloved and iconic item on the McDonald's menu, representing a fun and festive way to celebrate St. Patrick's Day and the arrival of spring.
Ingredients For McDonald's Shamrock Shake
To make this delicious Shamrock Shake with Oreos, you'll need the following ingredients:
- 3-4 scoops of softened vanilla ice cream
- 1 teaspoon of mint extract
- 2 drops of green food coloring
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 3 crushed Oreos with cream removed
- Whipped cream for topping
Instructions For McDonald's Shamrock Shake
Follow these simple steps to make the perfect McDonald's Shamrock Shake with Oreos:
- Add softened vanilla ice cream to the blender.
- Add 1 teaspoon of mint extract to the blender. You can adjust the amount of mint extract according to your preference. If you like it more minty, you can add a little more.
- Add 2 drops of green food coloring to the blender. This will give your shake the classic Shamrock Shake green color.
- Add 2 tablespoons of milk to the blender. You can use any kind of milk you prefer, such as whole milk, skim milk, or almond milk.
- Pulse the blender 3-4 times just until the ingredients are blended together. Be careful not to over-blend as this can cause the shake to become too thin.
- Pour the shake into a glass.
- Add a spoonful of crushed Oreos to the shake and mix it in with a knife. The Oreos will give the shake a delicious chocolatey crunch.
- Top the shake with whipped cream. You can use store-bought whipped cream or make your own by whipping heavy cream with a little bit of sugar.
- Sprinkle the top of the shake with more crushed Oreos for extra flavor and texture.
Tips For McDonald's Shamrock Shake
Here are some tips for making the perfect McDonald's Shamrock Shake with Oreos:
- Soften the Ice Cream: Softening the ice cream before blending it will make it easier to mix and create a smooth consistency. Allow the ice cream to sit out for a few minutes before blending.
- Use Mint Extract: Adding a teaspoon of mint extract will give your shake a strong, refreshing mint flavor. If you prefer a milder flavor, start with a smaller amount and add more to taste. DO NOT USE PEPPERMINT! The Shamrock flavor is spearmint and you will will get a much different flavor if you use peppermint.
- Add Food Coloring: Green food coloring is what gives the Shamrock Shake its distinctive color. Two drops of green food coloring is enough to create a bright green shake, but you can add more or less to achieve your desired shade.
- Crush Oreos with Cream Removed: Removing the cream from the Oreos will prevent the shake from becoming too sweet. Use a rolling pin or food processor to crush the cookies into small pieces.
- Use a High-Speed Blender: A high-speed blender will make it easier to blend the ingredients together and create a smooth consistency. If you don't have a high-speed blender, you can use a immersion blender or a food processor.
- Add Milk Gradually: Adding too much milk can make the shake too thin, while not adding enough can make it too thick. Add the milk gradually until you reach the desired consistency.
- Garnish with Whipped Cream and Oreos: The whipped cream and Oreos on top add extra flavor and texture to the shake. Use a piping bag or a spoon to create a swirl of whipped cream on top of the shake, and sprinkle with additional crushed Oreos.
Variations Of McDonald's Shamrock Shake
- Chocolate Mint Shake: Instead of using vanilla ice cream, use chocolate ice cream for a rich, chocolatey flavor. Add mint extract and green food coloring to create a mint chocolate chip shake, and mix in some crushed Oreos for a crunchy texture.
- Peanut Butter and Chocolate Shake: Use chocolate ice cream and add a tablespoon of peanut butter to the blender. Add mint extract and green food coloring, and blend until smooth. Top with whipped cream and crushed Oreos.
- Mint Chocolate Chip Frappé: Add ice to the blender along with vanilla ice cream, mint extract, green food coloring, and a handful of chocolate chips. Blend until smooth and serve in a tall glass with whipped cream and crushed Oreos on top.
- Thin Mint Shake: Crush a handful of Thin Mint cookies and add them to the blender along with vanilla ice cream, mint extract, green food coloring, and milk. Blend until smooth and top with whipped cream and more crushed Thin Mints.
- Mint and Caramel Shake: Add caramel syrup to the blender along with vanilla ice cream, mint extract, green food coloring, and milk. Blend until smooth and top with whipped cream and a drizzle of caramel sauce.
These variations are just a few examples of how you can experiment with the Shamrock Shake with Oreos recipe. Feel free to get creative and add your favorite ingredients to create a unique and delicious shake that suits your taste buds.
FAQ's About McDonald's Shamrock Shake
Can I use a different type of cookie instead of Oreos?
Absolutely! While Oreos are a popular choice for adding a chocolatey crunch to the Shamrock Shake, you can use any type of cookie you like. Experiment with different cookies, such as Nutter Butters or chocolate chip cookies, to create your own unique twist on the recipe.
Can I make a dairy-free version of the Shamrock Shake?
Yes! You can use non-dairy ice cream, such as coconut or almond milk ice cream, instead of traditional dairy ice cream. You can also use a non-dairy milk, such as almond or soy milk, instead of regular milk.
How do I make a thicker shake?
If you prefer a thicker shake, you can add more ice cream to the blender. Alternatively, you can reduce the amount of milk you use to create a thicker consistency.
Can I make a healthier version of the Shamrock Shake?
Yes! You can make a healthier version of the Shamrock Shake by using low-fat or non-dairy ice cream, reducing the amount of sugar in the recipe, and using a non-dairy milk. You can also skip the whipped cream and use a smaller amount of crushed Oreos.
Can I freeze the Shamrock Shake for later?
Yes! You can freeze any leftover Shamrock Shake in an airtight container and enjoy it later. Be sure to let the shake thaw for a few minutes before enjoying to soften the consistency.
OTHER RECIPES TO TRY:Print
How to Make McDonald's Shamrock Shake with Oreos
- Prep Time: 5
- Total Time: 5 minutes
3-4 scoops of softened vanilla ice cream
1 teaspoon mint extract
2 drops green food coloring
2 tbs milk
3 crushed Oreos with cream removed
- Add vanilla ice cream to blender
- Add mint extract
- Add food coloring
- Add milk
- Pulse 3-4 times in blender just until blended
- Pour into glass
- Add a spoonful of crushed Oreos and mix in with a knife
- Top with whipped cream
- Sprinkle top with more crushed Oreos
Keywords: McDonald's Shamrock Shake, McDonald Shamrock Shake, Shamrock Shake