Just in time for summer, I have an ultra-refreshing drink recipe that’s so simple and tasty you’ll be making it constantly. Strawberry blackberry lemonade is perfect to make when guests are coming over since it’s so delicious, but it’s simple enough to make that you can easily keep a batch on hand for yourself or your entire family.
Check out my Strawberry Blackberry Lemonade:
Table of Contents
Why You’ll Love this Strawberry Blackberry Lemonade Recipe
The Strawberry Blackberry Lemonade recipe is so tasty, it is made with fresh ingredients, has flavors that meld together beautifully, and is very adaptable. You can totally customize this strawberry blackberry lemonade recipe if you have different ingredients on hand, or you can scale it to serve a bunch of people.
Strawberry Blackberry Lemonade Ingredients
I also love this recipe because it only uses a few ingredients. Not only are the ingredients ones I usually have on hand during the summer, but they are also ingredients that are simple for me to get my hands on if I don’t have any.
- Sugar – You need sugar for the simple syrup. I just use standard white cane sugar, but you can use any type of sugar that dissolves. Avoid using powdered sugar, as this will not give you the consistency you want in your simple syrup.
- Strawberries – I recommend using fresh strawberries. I love to grab strawberries from the farmers’ market when possible, and if you have a garden outside, you can grab fresh strawberries there, too. But fresh strawberries from the grocery store will work, as will thawed out frozen strawberries.
- Blackberries – The same goes for blackberries. You can use the fresh berries from whatever source they come from, but it’s not totally necessary, just preferred.
- Lemon juice – I like to use lemon juice from fresh squeezed lemons, and that’s what the recipe calls for, but if you are in a pinch you can use concentrated lemon juice.
Special Equipment Needed For Blackberry Lemonade
You’ll need a couple of different things for this recipe:
- Saucepan – You need a saucepan to make the simple syrup. I recommend using a medium saucepan, but if you are scaling this recipe either up or down, you may want to use a different size. Use your best judgment.
- Blender – You blend these ingredients, so you’ll of course need a blender. But when I say blender, I just mean something to blend with. It does not necessarily have to be an item that is sold as a blender. You can use an immersion blender or a food processor, as well. Keep in mind that if you use these different pieces of equipment they will blend at different speeds, so you want to be cognizant of that before you begin pulsing.
- Pitcher – You also need a pitcher to hold your drink and serve it. Any pitcher will do, as long as it has a good handle and a spout. I like to use one with a lid, but it is totally up to you.
Here are some other pieces of equipment that aren’t necessary but you might want to use:
- Stir stick – A stir stick is a super easy tool to use and is great when you are making a drink such as this where you want to give everything a final stir. It’s not necessary, though, and there are other items you probably have around your kitchen that will work just as well, like a wooden spoon or even a butter knife. But stir sticks are designed for a purpose, so if you have one, use one.
- Serving jug – Like a stir stick, using a serving jug is not necessary, but it is useful in certain situations. If you are entertaining guests or you just have a large family that’s going to be consuming this buffet style or drinking it all day, I recommend using a jug to serve it. It causes less of a mess, and is easy for other people to serve themselves. It’s also great if you are making a large batch, as it can hold more than a pitcher.
How to Make this Blackberry Lemonade Recipe
Here’s what you need to do to make this recipe:
- Start by making your simple syrup. In a medium saucepan, put equal parts sugar and water in, and cook until the sugar has dissolved. Be sure to stir occasionally so the sugar is not sticking to the bottom and scorching.
- Pull the saucepan off the heat source and allow it to cool.
- Blend strawberries, blackberries, lemon juice, water, and simple syrup. Blend until you have a consistency you like. There will be some chunks.
- Optional step: Strain the chunks if you do not want them in your drink.
- Pour the drink into a pitcher.
- Garnish with more strawberries, blackberries, and lemon slices.
What to Serve with Your Lemonade
This lemonade stands alone, but if you want it with a meal, here are some recipes to try:
- Baked Chicken Legs with Spicy Honey Garlic Sauce – These chicken legs pack on the heat, and lemonade is just the thing to pair with them to cool your mouth. They’re perfect for the weekend and will quickly become a summer staple along with your lemonade!
- 2 in 1 Mac and Cheese – A lemonade as delicious as this deserves food that is also delicious, and you’ll love this mac and cheese with the chicken and the drink.
Substitutions for Blackberry Lemonade Recipe
You can make lots of substitutes for this recipe:
I like to make my own simple syrup, and if you’ve never made a simple syrup before, this is a good recipe to introduce you to one, as it’s a really useful tool to have in the kitchen, but it is another step that can be skipped.
Instead of making your own simple syrup, you can use a store-bought package. Just make sure you pay attention to the packaging, because simple syrups come in all different flavors, and you want to just get a basic one.
If you do not have strawberries or blackberries on hand, but you have another fruit that’s sweet and not too acidic or citrusy, you can use that instead. Some fruits you could use are blueberries, raspberries, mangoes, or anything else that you would like to try in a lemonade.
Some people prefer to use sparkling water over still. You can do that in this recipe, but be careful putting it in the blender as it can take away some of its carbonation. If you are going to use sparkling water, I recommend stirring it in rather than blending it.
You can adapt this recipe to fit your preferences. Here are some of my recommendations:
You can easily make this into a strawberry blackberry lemonade smoothie by swapping water and simple syrup for yogurt and honey. You could also use milk or agave.
If you are serving this lemonade to a group of adults, you could spike it. Make the recipe as normal, and then at the end, add in a couple shots of vodka, tequila, or your other favorite spirit. Just be sure to drink responsibly and inform anyone you are serving that it is an alcoholic drink.
As I noted, simple syrups come in all different flavors, and you can use this to make a drink recipe of totally different flavor profile. You can make your own flavored simple syrup by infusing something into the sugar and water, or you can buy a store-bought flavor.
You could easily make this into a pomegranate lemonade, mixed berry, or even sour. There are lots of options, so feel free to get creative.
You could also make this into a punch by adding some sherbet or soda to the recipe. Pour it into a large serving bowl and add plenty of fruit and lemon slices and ice. It’s perfect for a birthday, graduation party, or wedding.
Instead of just serving this as a mixed drink on a large scale, you can make it into a full-on cocktail. Use your spirit of choice and combine the blended drink, ice, and liquor in a cocktail shaker. Strain into a glass over ice and garnish with fresh fruit.
Top Tips For Blackberry Lemonade Recipe
- Make sure everything is stirred well. That is the secret to every good drink.
- Use a fine mesh sieve to strain your drink. This will get the most separation from chunks and liquid, and you can easily press the fruits into the mesh if you want to get even more flavor.
FAQs For Blackberry Lemonade Recipe
Can you make this ahead of time?
Yes, you can absolutely make this ahead of time. I actually like to make it ahead of time and let it sit for a bit so all the flavors really mix together. I wouldn’t make it too far ahead of time, though, as you don’t want it to spoil in the refrigerator.
Can you scale this recipe?
Yes, you can definitely scale this recipe to make one serving or a big amount. When scaling with a simple syrup, I suggest still making the entire simple syrup and then storing it for later.
You can freeze a simple syrup if you have a lot left over and don’t intend to use much of it soon, but it is nice to have on hand. And if you’re going to go to the trouble of making it, I would make enough to use again in the future.
How long does it last in the fridge?
This blackberry lemonade recipe should last in the fridge for a couple of days, but I wouldn’t have it much past five days. It is not made with any preservatives, so it will spoil at some point. But when kept in an airtight container it can last for a while.
Does it freeze well?
If you don’t want to store your lemonade in the refrigerator, you can freeze it. It will freeze well.
I would avoid freezing it with lots of fresh fruit, though, as that could affect their texture, and everything is going to have a different freezer shelf life. But if you separate the ingredients, it will freeze nicely.
How many people will this serve?
This will make about 8 to 12 servings, but as with every drink recipe, it depends on how big or how little the servings are.
If you are making this lemonade for a large number of people and want to know whether you should double the recipe or not, I would count on it serving eight people per batch, just to be safe. This recipe is a major crowd pleaser, so it is a definite possibility that it will run out.
Other Recipes You’ll Love
Check out some of my other recipes, such as:
- Double Crust Southern Peach Cobbler – If you love peach cobbler, you’ve got to try this twist. It’s a little different than the classic, but it’s just as tasty. Serve it hot, or sneak a room temperature slice when you need a midnight snack.
- Butterscotch Sauce – We can all use a little more sweetness in our lives, and this butterscotch sauce recipe does just the trick. When you’re in the mood for a treat, check out this sauce. It’s perfect to top ice cream, fruit, waffles, or anything else you want smothered in butterscotch.
- Chicken Paella – For a hearty meal, try this chicken paella. It’s out of this world, and it combines some of my favorite ingredients for a truly tasty meal that comes together in less than an hour. I’m a huge fan, and I’m certain you will be, too.
Fresh Strawberry Blackberry Lemonade
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 5
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
Strawberry Blackberry Lemonade:
6 ounces fresh strawberries
6 ounces fresh blackberries
1 1/2 freshly squeezed lemon juice
3-4 cups water
1. In a medium saucepan, add sugar and water and cook over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Allow to cool.
2. In a blender, add strawberries, blackberries, lemon juice, 3 cups water and simple syrup. Blend.
3. If you don’t like pulp, then you can strain.
4. Pour into a pitcher.
5. Add fresh strawberries, blackberries, and lemon slices to a pitcher.
- If the drink is too sweet for your liking, then add the 4th cup of water.
Keywords: Blackberry Lemonade