Who doesn’t love a good baked macaroni and cheese recipe? I know that I do! The absolute best way to have macaroni and cheese recipe is to bake it. Regular old stove top macaroni and cheese just doesn’t cut it. This recipe is cheesy, creamy and is made even better with a seasoned Panko bread crumb topping.
Table of Contents
Macaroni and Cheese Recipe Description
The thing that makes this macaroni and cheese recipe so creamy is that it’s made with a unique Mornay sauce. Mornay is a béchamel mixed with cheese. That’s all that it is. Many people simply refer to it as “cheese sauce.” Trust us when we say that this mornay sauce can make your any-day meal taste amazing.
Let’s discuss the steps of baking the most cheesy and creamy macaroni with a twisty addition of seasoned Panko bread crumbs on top.
Ingredients for Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
Milk plays an incredibly essential role in making the delicious dish creamy and cheesy. For this recipe, you probably will need 3-4 cups of whole milk. Milk helps to mix all the ingredients properly and prevents the macaroni from being dry and plain.
Moreover, the thickness of whole milk also helps in preventing the cheesy macaroni from being soggy.
The flour helps in mixing all the ingredients well. For this recipe, you will require about 4 -5 tablespoons of flour in the process of making the cheesy mornay sauce.
Butter is an incredibly essential ingredient in this recipe. As we all know no macaroni and cheese recipe can ever be complete until and unless it includes butter in it. For this recipe, you will need 4-5 tablespoons of butter.
Salt and spices
Spices such as salt, chilly, ground black pepper, and more are required to make the mouth-watering macaroni and cheese recipe flavorful and yummy.
Another yummy addition to our recipe is Shredded mozzarella cheese. The mozzarella cheese is the prime factor that makes the hot baked macaroni extra cheesy and creamy. Moreover, mozzarella cheese is also used to make the mornay sauce in this recipe.
In this recipe, you will need 8 ounces of mozzarella cheese.
Shredded sharp cheddar
Another essential ingredient to our recipe is sharp cheddar cheese. In this recipe, you will probably need about 16 ounces of cheddar cheese to make the macaroni extra delicious.
Panko bread crumbs
Another special ingredient that makes this recipe incredibly unique and interesting is Panko bread crumbs.
Panko bread crumbs seasoned with a handful of spices and butter is the star ingredient of this recipe.
Other than the ordinary spices you can also add garlic to the hot macaroni and cheese recipe to give a flavourful twist to the dish. Adding a pinch of garlic can make the mac and cheese way more tasteful.
Another special ingredient is oregano. Oregano can also add an exciting and tasty flavour to the hot and fresh-baked mac and cheese.
Of Course, the most important ingredient of the dish is Pasta Well you can not make macaroni and cheese without adding pasta to it right?
For this recipe, you will need 1 box of pasta. From 1 lb box of pasta, you can 2-3 servings easily.
Directions For The Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
Steps to make Mornay Sauce:
- Step 1- Firstly, Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Step 2- Secondly, Add flour and whisk for two minutes.
- Step 3- Next, add milk, 1 tbsp salt, and pepper.
- Step 4- Now. Whisk for about 10 minutes or until thickened (you’ll add cheese, so don’t let it get too thick).
- Step 5- In this step, you have to remove the sauce from heat.
- Step 6- Now, Add mozzarella and 8 ounces of cheddar.
- Step 7- Finally, Set aside.
Instructions for seasoned Panko:
- Step 1- In a bowl, add panko, butter, salt, garlic, and oregano.
- Step 2- Now Mix all the ingredients together.
Instructions for Baked Macaroni and Cheese Recipe:
- Step 1- Firstly, Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Step 2- Secondly, Boil elbow pasta until done.
- Step 3- Now, Add Mornay sauce to the pasta and mix together.
- Step 4- In this step, you have to place pasta into a 9×13 pan.
- Step 5- Now, add the remaining 8 ounces of sharp cheddar to the top of the pasta.
- Step 6- Then, add the Panko mixture on top of the cheddar.
- Step 7- Now, bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Step 8- Lastly, panko will be golden brown, and cheese sauce will bubble up on the edges.
Tips For The Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- Buy good quality shredded cheese or buy blocks of cheese that you can grate yourself. Low-quality cheeses don’t melt as well and can give your sauce a gritty texture.
- Make sure to boil the pasta in a pan with hot water. Boiling pasta before starting the recipe will make the dish more tasty and appetizing.
- Don’t bake the mac and cheese on too high of a temp or for too long. Doing these things will make the dish dry and the pasta hard.
- Don’t make a thick béchamel because it will become entirely too thick once the cheese has been added. This will get clumpy and dry once baked.
- Sprinkle a pinch of oregano and garlic on the top layer of the hot and creamy Macaroni and Cheese Recipe to make it tasteful.
Other Recipes that You’ll LovePrint
Easy Baked Macaroni and Cheese Recipe with Panko Bread Crumbs
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 50 min
- Category: Dinners
4 cups whole milk
4 tbs flour
4 tbs butter
2 tbs salt
2 tsp ground black pepper
8 ounces of shredded mozzarella
16 ounces of shredded sharp cheddar
2 cups panko bread crumbs
1 stick melted butter
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic
1 tsp oregano
1 lb box of elbow pasta
Instructions for Mornay:
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add flour and whisk for two minutes.
- Add milk, 1 tbs salt, and pepper.
- Whisk for about 10 minutes or until thickened (you’ll add cheese, so don’t let it get too thick).
- Remove from heat.
- Add mozzarella and 8 ounces of cheddar.
- Set aside.
Instructions for seasoned Panko:
- In a bowl, add panko, butter, salt, garlic, and oregano. Mix together.
Instructions for Baked Mac & Cheese:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Boil elbow pasta until done.
- Add Mornay sauce to the pasta and mix together.
- Place pasta into a 9×13 pan.
- Add remaining 8 ounces of sharp cheddar to the top of pasta.
- Then, add the Panko mixture on top of the cheddar.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Panko will be golden brown and cheese sauce will bubble up on the edges.
Keywords: Macaroni and Cheese recipe