Do you call it smothered cabbage or fried cabbage? I grew up calling it fried cabbage, but it’s all the same.
This is honestly the best fried cabbage recipe that I've ever eaten! The addition of smoked paprika gives the smothered cabbage a slightly smoky taste that you just don't find in other recipes.
Here’s how I started using red cabbage. One day, the grocery store that I went to was completely out of green cabbage. I had my heart set on making cabbage that day, so I bought a redhead of cabbage just to see if the taste would be any different. Here’s what I noticed: it tasted the same, except the red cabbage had a sweeter taste! That surprised me because I assumed that the difference in taste would be that the red cabbage would be more bitter, but that was not the case at all.
Cabbage is a member of the green leafy family. With a great taste, it also gives you health. Even scientists and other health experts say that consuming green vegetables is far better than consuming nonvegetarian food. It will increase the immunity to fight against viruses and bacteria.
There are a lot of dishes that can be prepared from cabbage, commonly in India cabbage is one of the most consumed vegetables. People eat it along with bread with pleasure. Here, I will help you to prepare the best smothered fried cabbage recipe.
Table of Contents
Directions For Fried Cabbage Recipe
The steps to prepare smoothened fried cabbage are mentioned below:
- Step 1- First of all, wash the fresh and green leafy cabbage properly with warm water. If you want, eliminate the upper layer of cabbage as it faces pollution and other chemicals to stay the cabbage fresh.
- Step 2- Cut the cabbage in half and remove the core from the middle. The core is solid and uneven; it will rinse the taste and delight.
- Step 3- Add cut cabbage to the pot.
- Step 4- Add other essential spices and ingredients like salt, smoked paprika, black pepper, and canola oil.
- Step 5- You can add onion at this point, if you'd like.
- Step 6- Mix them all in the pot and cover it properly.
- Step 7- Cook the mixture on the burner and heat it on medium heat until it gets softened.
- Step 8- In the meantime remove the pot from the burner carefully.
- Step 9- For decorations and toppings, you can use other leafy vegetables, bacon, sausage, or whatever you'd like.
- Step 10- Serve it to your family, friends, relatives, and guests with love. It can be served on occasions like birthdays, anniversaries, receptions, any family function, new year, Christmas, and new year.
- Step 11- For all your small occasions and family arrangements, It can be served.
Tips For Fried Cabbage Recipe
- Wash it gently with warm water to eliminate all the harmful pollutants and chemicals. If possible remove the topmost layer of cabbage.
- The heat must be moderate, it avoids cabbage to become loose and detach.
- Keep in mind that the utensils you are using will affect the quality of your food. That is why I always suggest you use wooden or copper utensils. With the great taste, they also provide essential minerals and kill harmful bacteria and enzymes.
FAQs About Fried Cabbage Recipe
Where does cabbage come from?
Cabbage is derived from the mustard plant, along with broccoli, cauliflower and brussels sprouts. It was first cultivated in Western Europe and then made its way around the world.
Is cabbage bad for you?
No! Cabbage contains a high amount of the recommended daily intake of vitamin C. Cabbage also contains other essential minerals as well as fiber.
Yes, as the cabbage is full of sulphurous compounds, it can produce gas in your stomach. If you are a regular consumer of cabbage it will not do anything, but if you are an occasional consumer then it can cause gas.
It all depends upon the way it is cooked. If you follow this recipe your cabbage becomes soft.
Toss a cranium of shredded cabbage with one tablespoon of common salt, let it recline in a colander for at least one hour, and then squeeze it out as much fluid as you can. If the procedure is followed before cooking it will make your cabbage soggy.
The cut and clear answer is NO, it is just a myth. The cabbage doesn't lose any of its minerals and nutrients when cooked. However, a considerable amount of vitamin C will be lost when cabbage is boiled in water.
The fried cabbage can be preserved in the refrigerator for a few days.
Our Similar RecipesPrint
Best Ever Fried Cabbage with Sausage
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
1 head of cabbage
3-4 teaspoon salt
1 tbs smoked paprika
1 tsp ground black pepper
¼ cup oil
14 oz package of Polish sausage - sliced
- Place sausage slices in a skillet and cook over medium high heat until slightly charred on both sides.
- Cut cabbage in half, remove core from each half, then cut into pieces.
- In a pot add oil, cabbage, and seasonings. Mix together and cover. Cook over medium low heat for 30-45 minutes or until softened.
- Add sausage to cooked cabbage.
- Plate and serve.
Start with 3 teaspoon salt and add another if needed. The amount needed will depend on the size of your head of cabbage.
Keywords: fried cabbage with sausage