Old fashioned 7UP cake made from scratch! This is the BEST 7UP pound cake recipe! You'll certainly appreciate how easy it is to make this 7UP cake.
If you're looking for a refreshing and unique dessert to try, consider making a 7up cake. 7UP is used to add moisture and sweetness to the cake, but its main purpose is to act as leavening agent in place of baking soda or baking powder. The magic ingredient is the carbonation, which makes for a lighter cake.
Table of Contents
7UP cake is often referred to as a pound cake, but it doesn't contain a pound of each ingredient. So, is it really a pound cake? I don't think so. Pound cake gets its name from the one pound weight of each ingredient.
This recipe uses a lemon syrup, which gives the cake moisture and a delicious buttery lemon flavor. I haven't seen other recipes include this syrup in their recipes, but I love it! It's extremely easy to make and is truly just a lemon simple syrup with butter added to it. All you'll need to do is cook the ingredients on the stove until the butter melts and the sugar dissolves. That's it!
The cake gets topped off with a tangy lemon glaze. I like a thicker glaze, but if you like a thinner glaze then you can add more lemon juice - a tablespoon at a time. I took the zest of two lemons and included that into the glaze for extra lemon flavor!
Equipment You'll Need To Make 7up Cake
- Cake pan – You’ll use either a Bundt pan or a tube pan for this recipe.
- Stand mixer – I like to use a stand mixer, but you could also use a bowl and a hand mixer.
Ingredients For 7UP Cake
- All purpose flour
- Unsalted butter
- Large eggs
- Lemon juice
- Powdered sugar
Directions For Making 7UP Cake
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Add butter and sugar to the bowl attached to your stand mixer and beat on medium until fluffy, about two minutes. You should notice the color change, too.
- Add eggs, one at a time until combined.
- With the blender on low speed, add half of the flour and combine.
- Add half of the 7UP and combine.
- Add the remaining half of the flour and combine.
- Then, add the remaining 7UP and combine.
- Spray cake pan with baking spray and then pour in cake batter.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 70-80 minutes or until knife comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool in pan while making the lemon syrup.
- In a saucepan, add sugar, lemon juice, and butter. Cook over medium heat until butter has melted and sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Pour over cake while it's still in the pan.
- Allow syrup to absorb completely into the cake.
- When cake has cooled and syrup has absorbed, turn it onto a plate or serving tray.
- To make the lemon glaze, combine the powdered sugar and lemon juice. Pour over the cake as desired. Allow for glaze to harden before cutting the cake.
TOP TIPS For 7UP Cake
- Let the cake cool completely before turning the cake out onto a serving tray. If the cake is warm, then it will be too soft and could break apart.
- When making the glaze, if you want it to be thinner, then add a little bit of lemon juice at a time until you reach your desired thickness and consistency. You'll be surprised what a little bit of liquid will do to powdered sugar!
OTHER RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- Pineapple Upside-Down Cake: If you’re a fan of fruity desserts, check out this easy recipe for pineapple upside-down cake. It’s luscious and simple, and it’ll instantly transport you somewhere tropical.
- Peach Cobbler Pie: If you combine cobbler and pie, you’ll be left with very satisfied eaters. This dessert is one of my favorites, and I bet it’ll become one of yours once you taste it.
- Caramel Apple Bacon Hand Pies: if you love apple pie, bacon and caramel, then you'll love it when they're combined into a single dessert.
7UP Cake Recipe with Lemon Syrup and Lemon Glaze
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 70 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
3 sticks unsalted butter - softened
5 eggs - room temperature
3 cups all purpose flour
3 cups sugar
¾ cup 7UP
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Add butter and sugar to the bowl attached to your stand mixer and beat on medium until fluffy, about two minutes. You should notice the color change, too.
Add eggs, one at a time until combined.
With the blender on low speed, add half of the flour and combine.
Add half of the 7UP and combine.
Add the remaining half of the flour and combine.
Then, add the remaining 7UP and combine.
Spray cake pan with baking spray and then pour in cake batter.
Bake at 325 degrees for 70-80 minutes or until knife comes out clean.
Allow cake to cool in pan while making the lemon syrup.
Keywords: 7UP cake
Lemon Syrup for 7UP Cake
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
½ stick unsalted butter
¾ cup sugar
¾ cup lemon juice
- In a medium saucepan, add all ingredients and cook over medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until sugar has dissolved and butter has melted.
- Remove from heat.
- Pour over cake while it's still in the cake pan.
- Allow for the syrup to be completed absorbed and the cake cooled prior to turning out onto a serving tray or plate.
Keywords: lemon syrup
Lemon Glaze for 7UP Cake
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
4 cups powdered sugar
6 tbs lemon juice
Zest of 2 lemons
- In a bowl, add all ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Pour over cake as desired.
Keywords: lemon glaze