1 ¼ cups self-rising flour
1/4 cup lemon juice - approximately 1 medium lemon
Zest of 1 lemon
3 large eggs (separated)
1 16oz can sweetened condensed milk
Optional Lemon Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tbs lemon juice
1. Begin by preheating your oven to 350°F (177°C). This ensures a consistent temperature for baking. Line your loaf pan with parchment paper to prevent sticking and for easy removal of the bread after baking.
2. In your stand mixer, whip the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. This step is crucial as it introduces air into the batter, contributing to a lighter, fluffier texture.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, zest, egg yolks, and condensed milk until they are well combined and uniform. Add the self-rising flour and continue to whisk until the mixture is smooth and free of lumps.
4. Gently fold the whipped egg whites into the batter using a spatula. This technique is key to maintaining the airiness achieved from whipping the whites.
5. Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan, smoothing the top with a spatula. Bake in the preheated oven for 35-45 minutes. The bread is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a few crumbs.
6. Allow the bread to cool in the pan for a while before transferring it to a cooling rack. This step is important for the bread's structure to set properly.
7. Glazing (Optional): Once the bread is completely cool, you can add the optional lemon glaze. Simply mix the powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth and drizzle over the bread.
Keywords: lemon bread